They are particularly suitable for newly emerging applications in the micro and nanotechnological sectors which place increasingly high demands on non-standard methods of non-contact measurement, assessment of materials, miniature components, very fine joints, and surface roughness with submicron accuracy.
Activities of the Microscopy Laboratory
- Metallographic sample preparation – cutting, potting, grinding and polishing.
- Microscopic analysis on Nikon optical microscope – Spacing factor, thickness measurements, determination of phase area fraction, defect analysis and microscopic documentation.
- Microscopic analysis on Olympus confocal microscope – porosity measurements, defect analysis.
- Microscopic analysis on a Jeol electron microscope – Surface topography, elemental maps and EDS.
- Particle analysis.
- Inspection and analysis of a wide range of construction and engineering materials.